Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Best books of 2007

Today On Point did an hour on the best books of 2007. Here's the show. The guests were:
Dwight Garner, senior editor at The New York Times Book Review
Oscar Villalon, book editor for the San Francisco Chronicle
Kathy Langer, top book buyer for The Tattered Cover Bookstore in Denver

I don't know why these end-of-year editions, picks of books, will-they-make-it-won't-they, cattle call of books makes me so horny. I guess it goes with the job. What I should do is look at the past 15 years and see how the picks have held up.

So, what made it?


Fiction:
Oscar Wao, in my reading queue
Tree of Smoke (Denis Johnson seems too macho for me, give me my Chabon anyday)
The Shadow catcher, looks good
The Reluctant Fundamentalist
Abstinence Teacher

Nonfiction
How Doctors Think
Foreskin's Lament
How to Talk About Books You Haven't Read (a personal favorite on title alone, although to be fair, I haven't read it).
The Nine (Please tell me none of the, ahem, moderates are dragging ass into work!).

No comments: